Thursday, March 17, 2011

She'll Never Read This

Chicago lady with the Asian eyes,
so excited, with that special basket for us,
 while all around, the sun danced on pines tips.
Boiled cabbage, carrots, corned beef, rye bread - toasted.

Smiling at me.
I wanted to hold that smile in my mind, but told her instead
about the lady I found again after two years
who helped me at a time when I needed it most; inspired me,
who has no idea how much she means to me,
who I need in my life again.

She folded her hands and her Asian eyes began to cry, yet her lips smiled.
Wiping a tear,
 she handed me a corned beef sandwich.
We ate in silence, as the first stars appeared above us.

I would write her a poem one day, I said.
She laughed, smiling now around her Asian eyes.
And together we finished our corned beef sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment